This initiative aims to build leadership capacity to implement improvement strategies underpinned by an inquiry cycle. The program will guide the Principals and their teams through the Data Wise Improvement Model using a coaching approach.
In the 2018-2019 pilot year the Inquiry Team will collaborate with six pilot schools from November 2018 through to the end of 2019. The program will include a mixture of face to face professional learning (8 days total) and school visits.
Prior to the first professional learning workshops successful teams will be expected to complete a leadership inquiry overview and the Data Wise MOOC.
The PLI will support two school teams accepted into this initiative to attend the Harvard Data Wise Leadership Institute in Melbourne in January 2019.
Participants will develop a deeper understanding of:
- the Data Wise Improvement Process
- how to develop high-functioning inquiry teams and foster a supportive culture of improvement
- various inquiry protocols
- whole-school implementation of data inquiry cycles.
Leading teaching and learning
Developing self and others
Leading improvement, innovation and change
This program is open to all schools. The Principal is required to participate and it is strongly recommended that some or all of the instructional leadership team participate alongside the Principal.
Application for this program is via an Expression of Interest (EOI) selection process. Please use the form below for all application material.
The application timeline is as follow:
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11.00am, 2 November 2018
- SUCCESSFUL SELECTION: Successful schools will be advised by COB 2 November 2018
Online applications are to be submitted via the PLI website using the form provided.
Schools’ selection will be based on demonstrated need and readiness for inquiry.
Selection panel members – two Learning Services School Improvement Team members, Inquiry Coaches – Kelly Dyer, Duncan Groves
Applications must address the following four questions:
- Please outline how this initiative connects to your existing School Improvement processes and describe how you anticipate participating in this program will help deepen your work. (250 word limit)
- Please describe how you have engaged to date in using data to improve learning and teaching. Be specific: What data sources do you use? Who is involved? How do they use it? (250 word limit)
- Please give the roles and responsibilities of each member of your team and state how you expect they will contribute to the team’s work in the coming year. Provide the rationale for why these team members were chosen to work together. (250 word limit)
- Is this a team that works together currently? Have they worked together before? What is the plan for ensuring that this team will have time to meet together in the coming year to work on improvement? (250 word limit).
8 Day Workshop
2018 – Term 4
Session 1: Thursday 15 November 2018 – Zeps, Campbell Town – 9.30am – 2.30pm
2019 – Term 1
Session 2: Thursday 28 February 2019 – Professional Learning Institute – 8.45am – 3.45pm
Session 3: Friday 1 March 2019 – Professional Learning Institute – 8.45am – 3.45pm
Session 4: Wednesday 27 March 2019 – Launceston Library – 9.00am – 3.00pm
2019 – Term 2, 3 & 4 dates to be confirmed
Session 5 & 6: Term 2 2019 – Professional Learning Institute
Session 7 : Term 3 2019 – Professional Learning Institute
Session 8: Term 4 2019 – Professional Learning Institute