Problem-solving and reasoning are arguably the most important of the four mathematical proficiencies. The embedding of problem-solving and reasoning in classroom practice requires intentional planning and resourcing.
This 3-day spaced series of workshops will support teachers to hone their own problem-solving and reasoning skills by exploring challenging tasks across core concepts within the Australian Curriculum in Years 5 – 9.
Associate Professor Helen Chick (UTAS) will lead participants to consider the role of problem-solving and reasoning and ways to differentiate these in classrooms through the use and development of enabling and extending prompts and the orchestrating of productive classroom discussion.
As a result of engaging in this program, participants will:
- increase the depth of their knowledge of content and interconnections across key areas of mathematics, with emphasis on embedding the mathematical proficiencies of problem-solving and reasoning into lesson planning and teaching
- develop their pedagogical content knowledge in relation to developing problem-solving cultures in their classrooms
- be introduced to quality resources to support the use of problem-solving and reasoning in their planning
- develop confidence in selecting and adapting tasks, including creating enabling and extending prompts
- be accountable for trialling challenging tasks and collecting student work samples showcasing their mathematical explanations and justifications.
Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 5 – Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
Leading teaching and learning
Developing self and others
Leading improvement, innovation and change
3 Day Program – 09:30 am to 3:30 pm
North – The Grange – Campbell Town
Day 1 – Thursday 11 March 2021
Day 2 – Thursday 3 June 2021
Day 3 – Date to be advised