This ‘hands-on’ session will examine lifting techniques, hoist operation, toileting /changing issues and manual handling problem-solving. All techniques are based on methods which involve behavioural change to re-educate our bodies to use the big muscles, our feet and body weight effectively, thereby reducing strain on our backs.
The workshop is especially for Teacher Assistants and Classroom Teachers who are teaching multiple/physically impaired students and students with autism. The Education Department’s Manual Handling Guidelines requires relevant staff to refresh their skills regularly.
To be proficient in manual handling tasks required to support students with disability whilst ensuring the health and safety of all parties and maintaining dignity for students.
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Developing self and others
This training will be split into two sessions. Only required to attend one session.
Day 1: For participants who have not completed Manual Handling Training previously.
Day 2: A refresher for staff who have previously completed the training
South – Hobart College, Mount Nelson
- Monday 6 February 2023 – 9:30 am-3:00 pm
- Session 1 – Tuesday 7 February 2023 – 9:30 am – 12:30 pm (refresher)
- Session 2 – Tuesday 7 February 2023 – 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm (applied scenarios)
As this is a practical workshop please wear comfortable clothing and closed-in shoes
BYO Morning/Afternoon Tea