These sessions are designed to: increase improvement in mathematics teaching practice for mathematics teachers and build the leadership capacity of people working in mathematics and numeracy leadership roles, QTCs or those aspiring to lead in high schools. The focus will be on examining Structured Inquiry mathematics tasks that will align term by term to Curriculum Maps – Teaching and Learning Centre: Teaching and Learning Centre (education.tas.gov.au), the intention being that if your school is following the Curriculum Maps, the tasks will be appropriate to implement in upcoming teaching.
We will present possible unit outlines with tasks that can be used in your schools. We will model collaborative planning routines and processes that you can use in your PLTs at school. Tasks will be rehearsed to anticipate responses, plan enabling and extending prompts, and plan appropriate consolidating tasks. This work will align with the Australian Curriculum V9 Achievement Standard Guides, due to be released in draft form in Term 1, 2023.
There will be opportunities to network with other leaders and discuss and compare approaches at different schools. We will focus on quality practice pedagogy and share a range of strategies for leading and improving mathematics and numeracy teaching in your school. These professional learning sessions will connect you with the Lead Quality Teaching Coaches – Numeracy who will be able to provide ongoing advice as you implement the approaches in your school.
As a result of participating in this series of term-based regional workshops, participants will:
- Align curriculum, pedagogy and assessment, including building knowledge of Version 9 Australian Curriculum.
- Acquire a repertoire of problem-solving tasks aligned to the relevant grade and section of the Mathematics Curriculum Maps – Teaching and Learning Centre: Teaching and Learning Centre (education.tas.gov.au)
- Acquire templates for rehearsing tasks in collaborative team meetings so that teachers are prepared and ready to achieve maximum benefit from each task.
- Understand how and when to use the Structured Inquiry instructional model in mathematics/numeracy teaching and learning.
- Network with other leaders and teachers to share planning and resources.
- Strengthen confidence to lead mathematics and numeracy in your school.
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 5 – Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
4-Day Face-to-face Program – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
North-West – paranaple convention centre, Devonport
- Tuesday 21 February 2023
- Tuesday 2 May 2023
- Tuesday 1 August 2023
- Wednesday 25 October 2023
North – Tailrace Centre, Launceston
- Monday 20 February 2023
- Wednesday 10 May 2023
- Wednesday 9 August 2023
- Thursday 2 November 2023
South – Professional Learning Institute, Glenorchy
- Friday 24 February 2023
- Friday 12 May 2023
- Friday 11 August 2023
- Monday 30 October 2023