Prep – Year 10 teachers are invited to register their classes for live 50-minute interactive online presentations during National Science Week: 16 – 20 August.
This program supports students and teachers to conduct experiments and investigations on ‘Food: Different by Design’, the school theme for the National Science Week in 2021.
The program offers hands-on activities to explain the impact of science on sustainable agricultural practices and the impact of technology in designing different foods and cuisines. The activities cover interdisciplinary concepts of food, nutrition and digestion aligned to the Australian Curriculum Prep to Year 10 in several learning areas. Students also conduct poo making experiments to focus on the importance of eating well and the role of digestion to provide the body with nutrition.
Each day, registered classes* can participate in an interactive online presentation on the topic: ‘Does all the food we eat turn into poo?’
Monday 16 August** Years 3 – 6
Tuesday 17 August Prep – Year 2
Wednesday 18 August Years 3 – 6
Thursday 19 August Years 7 – 10
Friday 20 August** Years 3 – 6
* Class registration (and sign-in) is through the teacher
** the Monday and Friday presentations, still focussing on the ‘Food: Different by Design’ theme, are part of the Children’s University TV (UCTV) Series.
As a result of engaging in this course, participants (students) will:
- know how to evaluate the different food design processes by considering the advantages and disadvantages associated with each
- understand that food production and consumption are multifaceted processes that can have a positive and negative impact on the environment
- explore different types of food design, including genetic engineering (farming, processing, cooking, engineering etc.)
Online – 9:00am – 10:00am
The link to the session will be sent to participants prior to the session.
- Monday 16 August 2021 – Years 3 – 6
- Tuesday 17 August 2021 – Prep – Year 2
- Wednesday 18 August 2021 – Years 3 – 6
- Thursday 19 August 2021 – Years 7 – 10
- Friday 20 August 2021 – Years 3 – 6