This ten day program aims to further develop the leadership capabilities and preparedness of aspirants to undertake the role of principal.
The program is open to aspirants across all business units in the DoE, not only those currently working in schools. Enrolment in this program is via an Expression of Interest (EOI) selection process. Cohort numbers are capped at twenty in 2018. Interviews will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Five days face to face professional learning
- Five days shadowing of an experienced principal
Participants will further develop their leadership capabilities and preparedness to undertake the role of principal by deepening understanding of the following areas (aligned to the Australian Professional Standard for Principals):
- the role of principal as a senior manager in the Department of Education
- the role of principal as manager of the school
- self as a leader
- educational leadership and its impact on school improvement
- inquiry as an improvement/change process
Australian Professional Standard for Principals
- Leading teaching and learning
- Developing self and others
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
- Leading the management of the school
- Engaging and working with the community
Pre-requisites for application
- full teacher registration with the Teachers Registration Board of Tasmania
- experience in leadership within the DoE (e.g. in-school leaders of improvement priorities, state-wide curriculum support, project officer etc.) Acting principals are eligible to apply.
Online applications are to be submitted via the PLI website by clicking on ‘Enrol’.
Applications must include
- A 500 word EOI based on the focus question: Why should I be considered for this program? See selection criteria in attached fact sheet.
- A two page CV
- Two referee reports, including one from the principal/manager endorsing the application.
Applicants must use the referee and EOI forms below.
Applications will open February 9th and close March 9th, 2018
Day One – Hobart, PLI, Thursday 10th May, 9:00-5:00
Day Two – Hobart, PLI, Friday 11th May, 9:00-3:30
Day Three – Launceston, The Tramsheds, Friday 3rd August, 9:00-3:30
Day Four – Penguin Community Centre, Monday 22nd October, 9:00-3:30
Day Five – Hobart, PLI, Friday 8th March, 2019, 9:00-3:30