How can we effectively teach reading comprehension to support engagement in reading across the curriculum?
Through four online workshops, Dr. Janelle Wills will explore the connection between reading engagement and successful reading comprehension across the curriculum, for all our adolescent learners. As participants implement and reflect on their learning within their school context, further support will be available from Lead Quality Teaching Coaches.
Structure of the ILP:
- The Quality Teaching Coach – Literacy and an additional member of staff are encouraged to enrol to enable collaboration throughout the ILP
- One half day face-to-face or online session, including a 75 minute online presentation by Dr. Janelle Wills
- Three spaced online webinars facilitated by Dr. Janelle Wills
- Participants engage in readings and actions between webinars
- Ongoing support through online sessions facilitated by the Lead Quality Teaching Coaches – Literacy.
- know some strategies they can use to support engagement in reading across the curriculum
- understand principles for engaging adolescent learners in reading in the secondary school
- collaborate in a cycle of reflection, planning and action in relation to current and new learning.
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
This program is spaced over one Face to Face Session and three Online Sessions.
The link to the meeting platform will be sent to participants prior to the sessions.
Face to Face Session -1:30pm – 4:00pm
- North – Thursday 5 August 2021 – Tailrace Centre, Launceston
- South – Thursday 5 August 2021 – Professional Learning Institute, Glenorchy
Online Session – 3:15 pm to 4:30 pm
- Thursday 26 August 2021
- Thursday 16 September 2021
- Thursday 28 October 2021