As students transition from primary to secondary school texts become more complex, the ideas they need to communicate become more abstract, and the content more technical and specialized. And, it is through writing that discipline content knowledge is assessed. So, reading and writing well in the disciplines is crucial.
In these workshops, participants will work with texts specific and authentic to the disciplines of English and Science. Lessons will be modelled, and support given to participants to plan text focussed reading and writing lessons to trial in their classrooms and receive feedback upon in online sessions.
Schools are encouraged to enrol their Quality Teaching Coach – Literacy and teachers of Science and English.
On each day, Misty will work with English texts for half the day and science texts for the other half. Participants have the option of attending both sessions with Misty or attending a half-day workshop focussed on developing curriculum plans aligned to the revised Australian Curriculum v 9.0. PEOs for English and Science, Michelle Paternoster and Rosemary Anderson, will facilitate these.
- deepen their knowledge of discipline specific texts
- learn strategies to support students to read and write discipline specific texts
- be supported to apply this learning in their classroom teaching.
- Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 5 – Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
- Leading teaching and learning
This 2-day program will be delivered via two face-to-face and one online session.
The link to the online meeting platform will be sent to participants prior to the sessions.
North-West – paranaple convention centre, Devonport – 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Day 1 – Monday 13 February 2023
- Day 2 – Monday 3 April 2023
South – Professional Learning Institute, Glenorchy – 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Day 1 – Wednesday 15 February 2023
- Day 2 – Wednesday 5 April 2023
Online Session – 3:15 pm – 4:30 pm
- Thursday 2 March 2023
- Thursday 16 March 2023