What does career education in the primary classroom look like in practice?
The embedding of career education in classroom practice involves intentional planning and resourcing through the three dimensions of the Australian Curriculum.
Career-related learning in primary classrooms involves:
- raising and broadening student aspirations
- helping students to develop a healthy sense of self that will enable them to reach their full potential
- supporting students to develop positive attitudes about work from an early age
- challenging stereotypes about different subjects, jobs and careers
Through participation in the session, teachers will:
- be able to build career learning into the three dimensions of the Australian Curriculum through intentional planning
- understand how they can start to build activities with employers into their lessons
- understand the six key elements of career education in the primary setting
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading teaching and learning
This 1 hour 30 minute session is being delivered online – 3:00pm – 4:30pm
- Tuesday 13 September 2022
- Wednesday 26 October 2022 (repeated)
The link to the meeting platform will be sent to participants prior to the sessions.