The 26TEN online course is aimed at teachers and school staff to help them write more clearly to the parents and carers of their students. Have you noticed that some parents and carers of your students don’t respond to notices and forms that are sent home from school? Have you come across a poorly written note from an adult at home? This may be because your students’ parents and carers are among the many Tasmanian adults who struggle with tasks involving letters and numbers.
It’s really important that our readers can understand what we write. That’s why it’s up to all of us to develop the skill of communicating clearly.
In seven engaging and informative videos you will learn:
- about 26TEN, Tasmania’s campaign for adult literacy
- what is plain English and the benefits of using plain English
- the five steps to communicating clearly, including thinking about your reader and writing your content.
Hosted by plain English trainer Melinda Maddock, this course gives you everything you need to get your message through to the parents and carers of your students.
The course aims to help you:
- better understand plain English
- practise writing in plain English
- become familiar with the 26TEN’s Communicate Clearly – A guide to plain English
- Standard 5 – Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Developing self and others