Early communication development in babies and toddlers is a critical phase during which we build strong foundations for communication and literacy development.
This self-paced course will provide you with key information, understandings and research in how babies and toddlers progress through the stages of communication development and also provide ideas and strategies for implementing this knowledge into your programs.
- Vocal Development
- Word Learning
- The role of the educator
The course comprises a self-paced Canvas course (5 hours) and a follow-up reflective conversation with a member of the Early Learning team.
Participants will deepen their understanding of:
- The foundations of communication development
- developmental pathways and markers for children 0 – 2 years of age
- Areas of concern or ‘red flags’
- The role of the educator in supporting communication development (including links to the EYLF and Essential Literacy Practices)
- Resources available to support working with children and families
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading teaching and learning
- Engaging and working with the community
This online self-paced canvas course is available at any time.
The course duration is 5 hours – participants may complete this in multiple sittings.