This workshop is for school support staff and teachers wishing to support the creation or continuation of pride groups in their school/s. Participants will gain the understanding and skills needed to establish, run and sustain student-led pride groups in schools.
About the facilitators:
This session will be facilitated by Working It Out’s LGBTIQA+ School Inclusion Officers.
Kelli Charles (she/her) has a background in mental health and community support, working largely with young people and marginalised communities. Kelli is passionate about delivering high-quality professional learning and enjoys creating and facilitating enriching reflective practice spaces.
Daniel Howard (he/him) has been an LGBTIQA+ School Inclusion Officer since February 2022. He has spent almost two decades as a fulltime classroom teacher in Tasmanian public high schools. Daniel holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Teaching degree, both from the University of Tasmania.
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- Apply evidence-based strategies to support students and pride / diversity groups
- Establish, run and sustain a pride / diversity group
- Be an effective ally for LGBTIQA+ young people and colleagues in the school setting
- Address issues and problems that may arise when running a pride / diversity group
- Link in with the statewide pride / diversity group network
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
- Engaging and working with the community
Face-to-face sessions 09:00 am – 3:00 pm
South – Professional Learning Institute, Glenorchy
- Tuesday – 05 March 2024
North-West – paranaple convention centre, Devonport
- Thursday 07 March 2024