Participants will learn about common traits and behaviours associated with gifted and highly able students.
Many common myths and misunderstandings about gifted learners will be investigated. Best practice principles for school leaders to establish optimal conditions for gifted students to thrive will be discussed. Methods of identification and use of student data will be examined and how they related to the creation of effective learning plans.
High leverage teaching strategies linked to the Australian Curriculum and DoE Procedures will illustrate how exciting possibilities can be created to engage and challenge gifted learners. Demonstration of Gifted Online courses will be available and access to teachers who specialize in teaching gifted students.
There will also be time to implement knowledge acquired during the day to design learning plans and inspiring learning opportunities for students. An awareness of possible community resources and networks will be established with ongoing access to research and professional learning materials.
• improve their understanding of gifted learners across year levels
• learn how to recognize/identify and plan effectively for gifted students using the Australian Curriculum
• develop an understanding of student data through the use of school psychologist reports and data held on Edi and SSS
• evaluate the culture and programs available in their school with illustrations of best practice to improve the current status
• understand how to create learning plans linked directly to student data, parent information and student voice
• interpret current DoE procedures and understand possibilities for highly gifted students
• develop and grow their awareness of DoE and community resources for engaging gifted learners
• take back to their schools materials and resources to lead professional learning
Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
Standard 2 – Know content and how to teach it
Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
Standard 5 – Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
1 Day Program – 9.00am – 3.30pm
South – Professional Learning Institute – Hobart
Monday 2 March 2020
North West – Burnie Arts and Function Centre – Burnie
Wednesday 4 March 2020
North – Tailrace Centre – Launceston
Thursday 5 March 2020