By clicking ‘enrol’ on this page you will register an Expression of Interest in the next available course, and you will be placed on a waitlist.
Please express an interest in NO MORE THAN TWO OLT courses at a time.
This course is divided into four sections.
- Introduction to disability legislation and policy
This section aims to raise awareness of legislation and policy pertaining to students with disabilities.
- Understanding a range of disabilities
This section provides factual information about a range of high incidence disabilities, including cerebral palsy, intellectual impairment and Down syndrome.
- Strategies for the classroom
This section aims to raise awareness of the importance of prioritising learning needs, and provide an understanding of assessment tools and strategies to support students with disabilities.
- Case Studies
View real examples that illustrate both the student voice, and how experienced teachers may manage students in the classroom.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the concept of educational inclusion
- Have an awareness of a range of disabilities
- Be familiar with the School Support Services (SSS) delivery model based on Response to Intervention (RtI) and relevant legislation
- Have an awareness of the ways in which schools can accommodate and support all students, including the use of the Student Needs Profile (SNP) and the development of Educational Adjustment Plans
- Have an understanding of a range of disabilities
- Be able to identify characteristics associated with certain disabilities
- Be aware of possible behaviours that arise from the characteristics of disabilities, and their causes
- Be aware of a range of intervention strategies
- Be able to identify appropriate strategies for individual learners
- Have identified what strategies to use with a young person with whom you are working
- Have had the opportunity to view a number of case studies
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn,
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning,
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments,
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning,
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading teaching and learning,
- Developing self and others,
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
The program is delivered Online as a self-paced course
Enrolment is open as an Expression of Interest. Successful candidates will be contacted and sent a link to the Online Training Australia course platform.