By clicking ‘enrol’ on this page you will register an Expression of Interest in the next available course, and you will be placed on a waitlist.
Please express an interest in NO MORE THAN TWO OLT courses at a time.
This online, tutored course aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills of all those working with students with dyslexia and significant difficulties in reading to support inclusive practice.
You will learn about the causes, incidence and main characteristics of dyslexia, and some of the issues surrounding it.
Assessment for Learning
Learn about the purpose and process of assessments and how to assess individual needs arising from dyslexia and significant difficulties in reading. Create three student focused SMART goals to start putting your learning into practice in the classroom.
Explore a range of adjustments to meet the needs of students with dyslexia and significant difficulties in reading. Learn how to individualise the class reading program and support learning across the curriculum. Understand the importance of a whole school approach to teaching reading and providing additional support.
View real video examples that illustrate the needs of the individual, the interventions implemented and their resulting progress.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the relationship between phonological awareness and reading ability
- Explain the role that working memory has in learning to read, write and spell
- Examine the purpose and process of individual education assessments
- Apply a graduated approach to assessment using a universal, targeted or intensive staged process
- Use checklists to assess reading, comprehension, decoding and phonological awareness
- Identify co-occurring difficulties
- Provide strategies to teach decoding, spelling, comprehension, phonological awareness and reading fluency
- Systematically monitor progress in response to intervention, and plan next steps
- Evaluate how assistive technology can support student progress
- Work in partnership with parents to create an action plan to practice and improve literacy skills
- Set SMART goals and implement strategies to improve outcomes
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading teaching and learning
- Developing self and others
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
The program is delivered Online as a self-paced course
Enrolment is open as an Expression of Interest. Successful candidates will be contacted and sent a link to the Online Training Australia course platform.