By clicking ‘enrol’ on this page you will register an Expression of Interest in the next available course, and you will be placed on a waitlist.
Please express an interest in NO MORE THAN TWO OLT courses at a time.
This course aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills of all those working with children and young people with vision impairment, and support inclusive practice.
You will learn about the eye and the process of vision, the incidence of vision impairment and the areas of development it may affect.
Assessment for Learning
Learn about a variety of tests and assessments for vision and the environment. Understand the difficulties students with visions impairment can encounter and the implications for learning. Create three student focused SMART goals to start putting your learning into practice in the classroom.
Explore a range of adjustments to meet the needs of students with vision impairment. Learn practical strategies to ensure equality of access for these students, and specific interventions required at different phases.
View real video examples that illustrate the needs of the individual, the interventions implemented and their resulting progress.
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the process of vision and how the eye works
- Outline the more common forms of vision impairment
- Explain how vision is assessed
- Describe the difficulties encountered by children and young people with vision impairment and the implications for learning
- Assess the environment to make it inclusive for students with vision impairment
- Employ strategies to improve the access of children and young people to the curriculum and written information
- Discuss the principles underlying good practice when working with students with a vision impairment
- Use specific interventions required by students at different stages
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn,
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning,
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments,
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning,
- Standard 7 – Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community
- Leading teaching and learning,
- Developing self and others,
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
The program is delivered Online as a self-paced course
Enrolment is open as an Expression of Interest. Successful candidates will be contacted and sent a link to the Online Training Australia course platform.