This seven-day program is designed to support the preparation of current and emerging school leaders for the school Principal position. School leaders aspiring to be a Principal are immersed in core understandings and expertise; and cognitive, social and personal capabilities essential for success in the role. Designed as a practical, five to six month, spaced-learning experience, participants:
- Engage in four, interactive whole-day workshops
- Read and respond to stimulus articles/videos prior to each workshop
- Engage in three days of guided shadowing of an experienced Principal
- Receive two professional coaching sessions delivered online, on applying their learning to their professional practice
- Utilise their program journal to reflect on their learning and plan for ‘stretching’ their practice
- Deploy two data-collecting instruments to provide feedback on:
– How participants perceive their leadership strengths compared with how others perceive them
– Identifying key competencies and capabilities for strengthening overall leadership performance
- Work with the facilitators to undertake a Personal Leadership Inquiry, using learning and data from all aspects of the program
This program connects to a qualification pathway. It is one unit of four units required to attain the Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership) with UTAS. This program is 50% completion of the post graduate unit (ESM762 Preparing for School Principalship) leaving a balance of 50% which requires only one 2500 word reflective essay based on the program learnings.
Key content in this program includes:
- Developing a leadership disposition
- Continuous learning for growth as a leader
- How leaders build a culture of teamwork and performance
- How leaders learn to know themselves and how they use their capabilities to build trust and influence
- Critical interpersonal skills for leaders
- Politically astute leadership
- Fundamentals of school improvement
Participants will further develop knowledge, expertise and capabilities aligned with the Australian Professional Standard for Principals, and the Principal Capability Framework, particularly:
- Understanding and practising authenticity as a leader
- Shaping an inclusive school culture that fosters mutual respect, agency and accountability
- Building a psychologically and emotionally safe environment
- Cultivating a feedback culture by building capacity in self and others to inquire, and seek and respond to data and feedback, for continuous improvement
- Nurturing collaborative practice and high-performing teams
- Developing educational leadership knowledge and expertise for driving school improvement
- Leading teaching and learning
- Developing self and others
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
- Leading the management of the school
- Engaging and working with the community
Enrolment in this program is via an Expression of Interest (EOI) selection process.
Please use the Expression of Interest Form below.
Complete all sections of the Expression of Interest Form. This includes a referee statement from your current principal.
You can submit additional supporting documents as noted in the Expression of Interest form at the point of enrolment.
Applications now open, and close Friday 07 March 2024.
Please contact Stephanie Hickey, People Capability and Development email@example.com for further information.
State-wide – 9:00 am – 3:15 pm
Please note Day 1 & 4 will be in the South and Day 2 & 3 will be in the North.
South – Hobart – Professional Learning Institute, 13 Timsbury Road
- Day 1 – Friday 17 May 2024
- Day 4 – Thursday 26 September 2024
North – Launceston – Tailrace Centre, 1 Waterfront Drive
- Day 2 – Friday 7 June 2024
- Day 3 – Friday 9 August 2024