Some students who attend DECYP schools require an Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) system to communicate their varied range or personal messages and intentions. AAC is the term used for all communication methods used to enhance or replace verbal speech. Students who have an AAC system need a lot of support over time so that they can learn to use it efficiently and effectively. Communication partners (all the people who interact with the student) play a vital role in this.
This self-paced online course contains seven modules and takes approximately two hours to complete. Once you have completed the Communication Partner Training modules, you will have access to additional videos and training resources relevant to specific AAC systems (Proloquo2Go, LAMP, Key Word Sign, PODD, TD Snap with PODD), tips on goal setting and access to a range of visual supports.
This course aims to give participants the skills needed to be an effective communication partner for students who use an AAC system, and to support these students to develop their own communication skills.
- Standard 1 – Know students and how they learn,
- Standard 3 – Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning,
- Standard 4 – Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments,
- Standard 6 – Engage in professional learning
- Leading teaching and learning,
- Developing self and others,
- Leading improvement, innovation and change
The program is delivered Online as a self-paced course.
Link to canvas pages to self-enrol is: https://canvas.education.tas.gov.au/enroll/RLTLRG